- February 28, 2018 -
Happy March loves! THE ANTI-AGING SKINCARE GUIDE IS HERE!
Skin aging starts early in our teens, no matter your age, it’s never too early to start slowing down the negative effects. In this anti-aging guide I will help you prevent and reverse the effects of skin again with my trusty antiaging secrets. I utilize treatments, preventative ingredients, and a specific order of application to achieve plump dewy skin.
So what ages our skin? Besides alcohol and Cheetos? There’s a laundry list of culprits including collagen breakdown, sun exposure, dehydration, pollution, a reduction of estrogen, and loss of elastin. My wised up anti-aging skincare strategy was designed to fight these culprits, it relies on four main factors: Treatments, ingredients, order of application, and diligence.
-Treatments: We can trick our bodies into building new collagen and elastin fibers by creating minor injury to the skin. Technology has improved to the point where we have option to do these minuscule injury procedures in office or at home and I’ve had good experiences with both. Too be frank, I’m too busy for downtime and I rather spend my money on vacations than procedures, so I’m all about those at home treatments. I’ve been loving this at home Glowpro microneedling device from Beauty Bio Science, I’ve been doing my neck and declote twice a week for 3 weeks and I can already see a major improvement in my skin. I’ve omitted my face because it’s bee irritated this winter and you only wanna microneedle on very healthy skin.
MY PICK: GloPRO Microneedling Facial Tool
-Ingredients: This is hugely important. Using high quality plant extracts to chemically exfoliate and hydrate the skin is key to a dewy glow. So many drug store products have alcohols and harsh chemicals that strip the skin. Most cheap products also have silicone to make the skin look hydrated but it really just clogged your pores. Use nontoxic brands you can trust and your skin will thank you for it. All of my product picks have the highest quality ingredients to make your skin look fresher than a March daisy.
-Order of application: This is one of the greatest problems I see with individual’s skincare routines. You’ve got to layer your products correctly in order to get the true benefit out of each product. That glowy hydrated skin you see on Instagram is achievable if you follow this order of operations
1. Cleansers: Only cleanse with water in the am to avoid drying out your skin. Get all of your makeup off of your face before you wash at night, you can use a makeup wipe or you’re going to want to do a double wash. Once your makeup is off wash in an upward motion to help reverse the effects of gravity. Pick a cleanser that has both hydrating and deep cleaning properties to reveal younger looking skin.
Malic Acid: exfoliates and refines skin tone and texture
Sage, Lemon and Dandelion: purify pores
Coconut Cleansers: deeply cleanse
Algae: nourish and hydrate
2. Toners: Are a must, to balance PH and chemically exfoliate the skin. You want to chemically exfoliate with toner to increase cell turnover, cleanse pores, and slough dead skin revealing brighter younger looking skin. The watery consistency of toner also acts as a vehicle for your serums to better absorb.
MY PICK: January Labs Daily Brightening Tonic
Aloe: Moisturizes and heals irritated and stressed skin.
Lactic Acid: Medicinally improves skin texture and hydration level.
Witch Hazel: Aggressively fights acne-causing bacteria
Glycerin: Attracts water and seals in moisture.
3. Serums: Act as the 1st layer of treatment/moisture, their smaller molecular weight allows them to absorb deep into dehydrated skin. What is life without serum???? It’s a dull, sad, dehydrated life for sure.
Bio-identical CoQ10: Fights environmental stressors
Vitamin C ester: Non acidic and non-irritating form of the anti-aging Vitamin C powerhouse.
Phytonutrients: Feeding skin, leaving it soft and luminous.
Essential fatty acids: Intense hydration
4. Eye cream: Is essential because dehydrated eye skin can age you faster than your affinity for soft rock. This second layer of moisture for the most delicate skin on your face needs to be gentle and moisturizing.
MY PICK: Honest Beauty The Younger Eye Cream
Hyaluronic acid: To attract moisture and hydrate skin.
Barbary fig and baobab fruit, both rich in essential fatty acids.
A chamomile and calendula blend: Calms and soothes.
5. Moisturizer: The second layer of treatment/moisture to lock in a healthy glow and protect skin. This step is especially important for aging skin that needs that extra boost of moisture. This step also helps protect against environmental free radicals that can prematurely age skin.
MY PICK:Osea Advanced Protection Cream
Organic Seaweed: Deeply hydrates and firms skin.
DPHP: Reduces the appearance of hyperpigmentation.
Grapeseed, Jojoba and Avocado oils: minimize the appearance of fine lines.
I hope you enjoy loves!! And don’t forget to enter the anti-aging skincare guide giveaway on Instagram! DM me if you have any additional questions!
- February 26, 2018 -
Hi loves! I know a lot of you are engaged and I’m so excited to share my tips on how to truly enjoy planning your wedding. We recently got back from a lovely wedding moon stay at The Ace Hotel Palm Springs. The Ace holds a very special place in our hearts because we stayed there for our first getaway together back in 2015. On this trip we enjoyed a much needed weekend of R & R and even did a little poolside wedding planning. Over the course of our engagement we’ve figured out how to truly enjoy the wedding planning process and I wanted to share these tips with you!
With wedding season, including MY WEDDING, swiftly approaching, I wanted to share my tips for an enjoyable wedding planning process.
Getting engaged was truly one of the most amazing experiences of my life. Nate really knocked it out of the park with the surprise engagement and engagement moon in San Francisco in August.
As soon as we got back to reality from our dreamy trip, the reality set in, we had to PLAN A WEDDING. Wedding planning is over romanticized in the media, to be honest it can be really stressful. I had a full on meltdown after price checking wedding costs with friends and hearing logistic horror stories from countless people. We initially wanted to do a Hawaiian beach wedding but realized after a string of sleepless nights and stress alopecia that planning a destination wedding was not realistic for our budget and busy schedules. Luckily my genius fiancé found a one stop shopping events company that could host our entire wedding celebration on a beautiful yacht.
Ever since we put down the deposit on our venue an enormous weight was lifted. The company we selected covers every logistic detail down to a wedding coordinator to help us with the entire process. No matter what you decide for your special day I have some solid words of wisdom to help reduce your stress level and make this momentous life occasion truly ENJOYABLE.
1. Put it in perspective: You’re going to be exposed to countess opinions, family dynamics, and other peoples preferences but at the end of the day YOUR wedding is just a day to celebrate your love. Have a conversation with your soon to be spouse and decide what’s important to you on your special day, that’s all that matters.
2. Think about what makes your happy: Focus your energy on what makes you happy: Do you love to party? Are you obsessed with decor? Is a great musical experience paramount to your wedding experience? You can’t obsess over everything so pick a few things that truly make you happy to focus on. For nate it’s a fun party vibe, an open bar, and great music. For me it’s a beautiful setting, tasty food, and feeling amazing in my dress.
3. Ritualize the experience: Create a fun ritual for planning instead of taking a spin on the hamster wheel of stress. Nate and I have a little ritual of making a cocktail (we’re loving sugar free, fresh lime, white tequila margaritas) before we sit down to plan. To make our planning ritual even more memorable I got the most adobe wedding napkins. The happily ever after cocktail napkins from the Papyrus Everyday Entertaining collection make our planning feel so special. It’s the little details like these thoughtfully curated napkins that make our planning ritual a memorable experience that we’ll remember when we’re celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary.
I hope these tips help you truly enjoy your wedding planning and special day! Don’t forget to enjoy these memorable moments, no matter what happens you get the ultimate prize at the end of the big day, spending the rest of your life with your best friend!
Click the link below to get your engagement ring clad hands on The happily ever after cocktail napkins from the Papyrus Everyday Entertaining collection.
- February 14, 2018 -
Happy Valentine’s Day loves! I’m so excited to share my beautiful lip secrets with you as a little thank you for all of the love and support you give. Take these tips and practice some beauty self care on this loving holiday.
Today’s the day to give yourself a big hug, give yourself a compliment, and truly appreciate you! Spreading that self love you’ve built with world today is extra credit. On to the lip secrets
1) Hydate: Your perioral “around the lip” skin is the thinnest and most delicate skin on the body and should be moisturized with care. Lip skin and eye skin is almost exactly the same, my secret is to use a plumping eye cream on lips too. This eye cream trick will hydrate the lips and reduce the appearance of fine lines. My lovely friend and esthetician Jamie Anne taught me this one! Follow her on social to get all of her tips @jamie_anne_aesthetics
The ADVANCED EYE TECHNOLOGY January Labs cream is my new favorite, it’s active ingredients like Hyaluronic acid (plumping) and Beta Glucan (fine line reduction) make a visible difference on lips and eyes! It’s kinda spendy but WORTH EVERY PENNY.
2) Over line: Yes I said it, make like Kylie and use a liner to overline your lips. Every single human has lip asymmetries and making minor shape corrections with a lip pencil will make your lips look flawless. Please please use organic lip liners, I love you and I don’t want you eating the carcinogenic toxins lurking in your Sephora products. My favorite organic liner on earth is from Kjaer Weis, I love the classic red liner for a bold lip pop!
3) Avoid teeth lipstick: It’s a total nightmare when you spend all this time crafting the perfect red lip then walk around with it on your teeth! Eeeekkkkkkk. I have solutions loves! First off get yourself a great long lasting non toxic lipstick, Kjaer Weis makes my favorite long lasting red. Once you finish applying put your finger into your mouth and squeeze your lips around your finger and drag your finger out of your mouth. This little finger secret looks silly but works great!
I hope you enjoy all of these tips loves!! If you want to go sample all of these products you can get all of them at one of my favorite non toxic beauty stores Credo beauty! I prefer shopping online so here’s the link
CREDO BEAUTY LINK
- February 5, 2018 -
Hi loves! I don’t know about you but I’ve been heavy on the wellness podcast train as of late. Podcasts are such a great way to increase your knowledge base from the comfort of your car, it’s a great way to get value out of your commute! I recently listened to an episode The Ultimate Health Podcast featuring nutrition expert Dr. Mark Hyman and I was inspired to share a few of his tips and my personal food philosophy with you!
In the podcast Dr. Hyman talked about his comprehensive list of foods that you NEED to be buying organic. I’m an advocate of buying every single thing organic but for some people that’s not an option for financial of sourcing reasons. The delicate plant structure of certain fruits and veggies make them extremely susceptible to pesticides. When you eat these susceptible plans you’re ingesting huge amounts of pesticides. Here is the list of organic MUST buys!
sweet bell peppers
spinach, kale and collard greens
Food is truly medicine, high quality food is the catalyst for a happy life in my opinion. Nutrition shouldn’t be complicated but due to the mass marketing of food and greenwashing practices the grey area of “healthy food” has ballooned out of control. As food consumers we have to be detectives, sadly we can’t trust anything until it’s proven to be trustworthy. I have a few simple rules that I live by and that I encourage you to adopt to truly feed your body and live your best life.
1) Select high quality foods that are grown in their natural ancestral habitat, i.e. pasture raised chickens.
2) Eat foods that are minimally processed and look as similar to their whole form as possible, i.e. Simple roasted carrots are only processed through chopping and roasting.
3) Diversify your diet with lots of different high quality foods so that your body gets a wide variety of nutrients, i.e. Eat the rainbow.
I decided to create an easy Organic recipe that exemplifies my food philosophy using Divine Flavor bell peppers. The Divine Flavor brand believes in growing better food for a better world, taking care of both its people and the environment. The AZ based company produces fresh, non-GMO foods grown in nutrient-rich, never over-farmed soil. Their bell peppers are safe and truly delicious!
Organic Scorched Bell Pepper Dip
Cook time 4 minutes
2 Divine Flavor Organic bell peppers, washed
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup avocado oil
A generous pinch of salt
2 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (cornstarch will work too)
1. place bell peppers on open gas range flame, carefully turning every few minutes until mildly scorched
2. Cut the tops off of the peppers and remove the seeds
3. Add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until smooth (about a minute)
4. Serve dip with your favorite winter fruits and veggies slices
- January 29, 2018 -
Morning loves!! I’ve been obsessed with adding as many antioxidants to my diet as humanly possible for months now and I’m digging the effects! I’ve also seen a huge antioxidant trend in the green beauty space and most of my favorite products utilize a few hero antioxidant plants. It can get a little confusing to know the best way to get those antioxidant benefits, but don’t worry, I did all the research for you and here are all the results!
Antioxidant is a buzzword in wellness that’s about to get even buzzier. This umbrella term describes plant-based nutrients that keep us looking and feeling our best. But how? In this article I’m breaking down the importance and beauty-specific benefits of antioxidants, highlighting three of the top trending antioxidant-rich plants you need to know and letting you know what’s more beneficial: eating them or applying them directly to your skin.
What is an antioxidant, anyway?
An antioxidant is a molecule that stops the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation is a chemical reaction that produces free radicals, leading to cell damage. That prolonged free radical skin cell damage can result in dreadful premature aging, unwanted beauty blunders, and eventually has the potential to cause disease.
Millions of beauty products, supplements, and foods claim to give you that coveted glow from the inside out, but what is the best possible way to put skin-boosting antioxidants to work? What packs a bigger punch, a matcha latte or a matcha moisturizer? Is taking a turmeric tablet or rubbing a turmeric stick on your face the ideal way to reduce pigmentation? Can you even eat an aloe plant? I posed the question “eat vs. apply?” to the top antioxidant power players—matcha, turmeric, and aloe—and here’s what I found.
Bioavailability plays a role.
When it comes to antioxidants, high potency and bioavailability are two factors that determine how truly effective each substance is. The trick is knowing how much of the active antioxidant-rich ingredient is in a product and how easily and readily our bodies can utilize it.
Also known as Camellia sinensis, is a species of evergreen shrub. It’s been “a thing” in Asia since 2700 B.C. and is now served by baristas with pink hair everywhere circa 2016. Matcha is an anti-inflammatory Zen master. Its unique antioxidant properties make it the perfect antidote to a late-night greasy meal.
Matcha’s most noteworthy antioxidant, EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) is a flavonoid that suppresses the inflammatory processes and is extremely bioavailable when ingested in green tea form. Long-term studies demonstrate that EGCG contributes to inhibitory effects in the skin, such as antioxidant, anticancer, and anti-inflammatory.
Eat vs. apply? Eat!
Ippodo matcha powder from Kyoto, Japan, is a 300-year-old pure tea that’s just about the highest potency money can buy. The manufacturing process simply entails slow grinding fresh green tea leaves until matcha powder is formed. Use this green gold in smoothies and tonics.
Also known as Curcuma longa, turmeric is a rhizomatous plant of the ginger family. It’s so hot right now and, yes, will stain your white chucks. Turmeric is the magic marker of antioxidant-rich plants; its hero ingredient is a volatile yellow oil called curcumin. Curcumin can help reduce pigmentation, fight acne, and even out skin tone. Turmeric’s polyphenols have been shown to possess anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, wound-healing, and antimicrobial action, perfect for reducing skin blemishes and fading any scarring they may leave behind.
Turmeric and its powerful properties have visible skin clearing results when applied topically to troubled skin. Bioavailability is, however, greatly reduced when ingested due to rapid metabolism and rapid systemic elimination of curcumin in the GI tract.
Eat vs. apply? Apply!
Cocokind turmeric spot treatment is an all-natural turmeric spot stick that conveniently treats scarring, pigment, and acne with organic turmeric as one of the top ingredients. You can see, smell, and feel the turmeric’s potency in the product.
Ranavat flawless veil mask clears complexion with powerful raw powders including Organic Wild Turmeric to uncover fresh skin and help kiss hyper-pigmentation goodbye.
Also known as A. barbadensis miller, is an evergreen perennial. It thrives in tropical climates. Aloe is our anti-aging comrade. It prevents skin aging by stimulating the proliferation of new cells and increasing collagen synthesis. It also calls upon its antioxidant powers to fight free radical damage and degeneration of tissues, keeping skin looking radiant.
Topical administration of aloe gel directly reduces free radical tissue disruption through various biochemical pathways. The high concentration of antioxidants C, E, and unique enzymatic antioxidants protect skin from environmental elements including sun, pollution, and other environmental stressors.
Eat vs. apply: Apply!
Fresh aloe vera juice is the first ingredient in Odacite’s aloe & immortelle toner, which is conveniently in a spray bottle, allowing you to directly infuse your skin with the anti-aging properties of aloe without any toxins.
Getting back to nature’s antioxidant basics is the foundation of currently trendy beauty ingredients for a reason—the chemical compounds found in plants have profound effects on skin! She’s a wise one, that Mother Earth. Let’s utilize these findings to put her plant alchemy to work in favor of our best health and best skin in 2018.