It’s looking like a beautiful friyay and in celebration of the almost weekend I wanted to share my new series with you, “a spoon full of…” where I share quick tidbits from my latest wellness obsession. In this edition of “a spoon full of” I’m sharing about fermentation! I’ve been in love with the tart and briney flavor profile of fermented foods for as long as I can remember and a little over two years ago I started get crafty with DIY fermentation. Fermentated foods have immense benefits that go far beyond salad enhancement, here are some great arguments for adding fermented foods to your life.
– Gut health: the probiotics found in fermented foods allow your body to more easily digest and absorb the nutrients you eat.
– Skin saver: the detoxifying, harmul bacteria blocking, and anti inflamitory properties help keep your skin clear and glowy
– Nutrition: fermented food offers up bio available B vitamins (most of us are deficient)
– Wallet friendly: you can DIY your own fermented foods for a fraction of what you pay for probiotics, kefir, or store bought fermented foods
– Immune Support: Fermented foods promote healthy natural gut flora preventing illness and boosting the immune response.
I hope that spoonful of fermentation knowledge I just dropped helped answer and questions or curiosity’s about the funky fermentation trend. Feel free to comment on this post with any questions and I’ll do my best to answer them! You’ll find one of my favorite quick ferment recipes below!
Quick fermented purple radishes
*use only organic local produce for this recipe
2-3 medium sized winter radishes, sliced thin (watermelon radishes are a winter radish variety)
1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of bacterial starter (you can buy the powder online or at whole foods)
A pinch of salt
2 cups of water
Add all ingredients except the water into a mason jar
Cover radishes with 2 or more cups of filtered water
Set in a cool dry place for 1-3 days depending on how fermented you want it to taste
* quick fermented radishes will keep for 8 months in he fridge